Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Bucket List

Rachel (my littler sister) and I have been working on our "bucket lists" for a few months now. I'm not quite sure how we ever got started on this idea of creating a list of things we wanted to do before we "kicked the bucket" but anyhow we have been exchanging ideas for quite some time. To get our juices going we watched the movie Bucket List with Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman. It's an ok movie but I liked this line from the movie,

"When you die you're asked two questions, and your answers determine whether or not you'll get into heaven:

1. Have you found joy in life?

2. Has your life brought joy to others?"

I believe in some variation of this and think these are two great missions in our lives: to find joy and also spread it. In my list are of course the trips to exotic places, but I also wanted to keep it realistic and everyday things that help bring joy to my life and others. Adventures and memories are much more meaningful when they are shared with others. That's where you come in. I want to know whats on your bucket/life list! Until now I have only had a mental list but I think some good comes from writing things down. 1) I am more likely to follow through with them if they are written down. 2) Maybe someone who reads them also has this goal and would like to do something together and 3) It is incredibly satisfying to cross something off the list. So here is mine as it stands now. I may add more to it as time passes or get new ideas from all of you. I will definitely be blogging about any of my adventures and completion of any of the things on the list so keep posted about my progress!

  1. Hike the Grand Canyon – go to Havasupai
  2. Participate in the Empire State building run up or just climb up all 1,576 steps
  3. Go ice fishing
  4. Visit Jerusalem
  5. Plant my own vegetable garden
  6. Teach a college level course
  7. Start a book club and read inspiring books
  8. Fly an airplane
  9. Become a foster parent
  10. Do yoga on the beach to a sunrise/sunset (this would give an extra meaning to all those sun salutations)
  11. Learn how to ride a motorcycle
  12. Start or join a hiking group
  13. Become a dog walker and get paid to do it
  14. Write my personal history
  15. Compete in a ping pong tournament
  16. Build my own house (or at least part of it)
  17. Breed dogs
  18. Go bungee jumping (however, even the thought of this scares me to death)
  19. Climb a tall tree
  20. Create art out of unconventional materials
  21. Recycle and become more green
  22. Start a charity or an organization for a cause I feel passionate about
  23. Start a family
  24. Go to a costume party or better yet, host one!
  25. Fly a kite
  26. Go on a road trip with no predetermined destination
  27. Drive in a convertible with the top down
  28. Explore a ghost town
  29. Go sea kayaking
  30. Watch a meteor shower
  31. Attend an air show
  32. Be hypnotized
  33. Coach a sport
  34. Learn to play the ukulele
  35. Have family rituals and traditions to celebrate holidays and important life events
  36. Participate in a silent retreat
  37. Join a disaster relief effort
  38. Be a member in the audience of a TV show (I’m thinking the Colbert Report or the Daily Show)
  39. Become a minimalist and live with less. Whittle my possessions down
  40. Hike to Machu Picchu
  41. See Niagra Falls
  42. Participate in a pie eating contest
  43. Participate in a large mass food fight ( preferably La Tomatina in Bunol, Spain)
  44. Ride a unicycle
  45. Collect Russian nesting dolls and nutcrackers
  46. Visit an active volcano
  47. Be able to donate an organ/bone marrow to save someone’s life
  48. Go to a jungle
  49. Visit the Kennedy Space Center and see a rocket launch
  50. Witness the Aurora Borealis (northern lights)
  51. Learn to cut hair and even practice on a real live male
  52. Have a picnic in a really cool place
  53. Go on a cruise
  54. Go scuba diving
  55. Go to the world cup
  56. Create a bucket list scrapbook/journal documenting my progress

4 comments:

  1. That's an awesome list. Sign me up to go to Spain with you. I want to get in on the large mass food fight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote a bucket list the other day. I'm going to add some things, now that I've read yours. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the summer in Reno they actually have a Tomatina too. The original and cooler one is in Spain though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your list. You are so beautiful! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete