"And in the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years." -- Abraham Lincoln
Monday, March 21, 2011
Lots of lemons and no lemonade
I would love to keep this blog only about upbeat and positive things, but unfortunately this week has been one of those weeks where I feel like my whole world is falling apart. And when I say my whole world it really means that two or three things went wrong or not according to my plan. Melodrama in my opinion is acceptable on these occasions. To begin the week off, we got news that the townhome we have been renting for an amazing $500 a month had been sold by the owners. We understood this might happen as the townhome had been put on the market several months ago, but we weren't expecting it and not wanting that day to come so soon. The townhome had been perfect for our needs and our unemployed budget. So we have to move, something I absolutely loathe...especially since within the last year and a half I have moved 3 times already. To make things even more difficult is Nacho (who I love to death but who is also a huge pain in the butt...I'll explain that a little later). The apartment/home search becomes even less appealing when almost all apartments/homes within our budgets and that don't smell like dirty feet all emphasize in their ad, with capital letters and an exclamation point (as if they have to yell it)...NO PETS! I came close to slaughtering Nacho yesterday when I left him home for 5 minutes and came back and found him with Jesus' $350 headset for aviation completely destroyed. Of course he is a dog and has no concept of what is expensive and what is not, but thinking about replacing those right now just made me feel sick. And to top the week off I got my umpteenth rejection call from an employer. I've kind of lost track or maybe its just that I am trying not to count. When I get a call I can already tell what the news is before they even say anything. Maybe its the way they say my name or the pitch in their voice. It reminds me of the voice a doctor would use when he/she is about to tell you bad news. I still have this feeling that I should be working, and because I am not means there is something wrong with me. In the past few months since I have been doing my job searching I have only come across a few full time positions in Utah County. So I have widened my search to include part time and any social service position, not just those requiring a masters degree in social work. I have probably applied or sent resumes to at least 30 employers. Out of those I probably have only got 15 callbacks and out of those had about 8 interviews. Still no job though. Some of the positions I applied to there was a legitimate reason why I could not be selected. They required someone with full licensure as an LCSW, something I will not have for at least another 9 months. Others were looking for direct experience in certain fields which I don't have experience in (such as: medical social work or domestic violence). So my ego can kind of accept those rejections. On the other hand though when I start to apply for jobs I feel I am qualified to do and some that I feel completely overqualified for (some not requiring a degree at all) and I still do not get them my ego and confidence take a major beating. There is nothing more shaming for me than job hunting and turning up with nothing. So what did I do about all my job hunting/money/house woes... I rented a comedy and went to the grocery store and bought and then consumed a large and unhealthy amount of comfort food (of course all bought with coupons, because I still have not recovered from my couponing addiction yet). Hahaha.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment