Sunday, March 13, 2011

Friends

One of the most valuable things I took away from the my masters program at BYU were amazing friends! They are the kind of friends I know would be there for me no matter what was going on in their lives and are also just remarkable individuals! It is hard to keep in touch with everybody because after graduating many moved to all corners of the country to find work; however some have stayed close by and I've enjoyed the times we have been able to get together. Erin has an adorable American bulldog puppy so I brought Nacho for a play date. Marilee, Erin and I caught up and completed our visit by making homemade peanut butter cups. Chocolate and peanut butter are one of those heavenly combinations that never can go wrong! I wasn't disappointed. Here is the recipe for those fellow peanut butter chocolate fans.

Too Good to Be Healthy Peanut Butter Cups

Chocolate layer:

  • 1/2 c. cocoa powder
  • 1/4 c. coconut oil
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • 1/8 – 1/4 c. honey

Melt the coconut oil and stir the other ingredients in; mix until smooth. Pour the chocolate into the bottom of the pan or fill the molds with a thin layer, leaving half of the chocolate for the topping. Let cool while you prepare the peanut butter filling. (The chocolate will have the taste of semi sweet dark chocolate, not milk chocolate.

filling:

  • 3/4 c. creamy peanut butter
  • 2 T. honey
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • 1/4 c. coconut oil
  • 1/3 c. ground nuts (we used chopped almonds)
Melt the coconut oil, stir in honey, vanilla, and then the peanut butter. When smooth, stir in the ground nuts. Spread the peanut butter filling on top of the chocolate, whether it’s in a mold or a pan. Finally, take the remaining chocolate mixture (if it’s started to solidify, heat it gently for a couple of minutes until it’s liquidy and easy to pour) and pour it on top of the peanut butter layer, smoothing it so that the top is even. Refrigerate or freeze.


Me, Erin, Marilee and daughters!

Trying my first homemade reeses

Nacho and his new friend, Diesel, waiting to come inside after playing outside in the rain

No comments:

Post a Comment