I know I'm a few days late on this, but I still wanted to post. I believe Martin Luther King Jr. was an extraordinary man worth remembering. I think its also great to have a birthday so close to MLK. While looking at the source of all knowledge, Wikipedia, I found some interesting facts about this day. The first year this holiday was observed was in 1986 just a few days after I was born! Many states were opposed to celebrating this holiday because they questioned whether King was important enough to receive such an honor. In fact the first time all 50 states officially recognized this holiday was in 2000!
Every time I hear the "I have a dream speech" I feel something deep inside me stir and it always inspires me to be a little better. Besides enjoying a day off I think its important to remember some of the things King has said.
"I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal."
Another favorite quote of mine is from his sermon "Strength to Love" written in 1963. He states: "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." What a great challenge; have the strength to love one another! Love even when it may be difficult.
Hooray! I am so glad that you have a blog. I feel so far away from you and think blogging is a great way to feel a little closer! I look forward to reading more about what you are doing!
ReplyDeleteWow...2000? What took them so long? I love MLK!
ReplyDelete